There are some kits out that use "ROM Revisions" as a game select in the multi. I threw that out since most of us want to play a great game of Tempest or Tubes. Why call it a 6 in 1 or 8 in 1 when it's really the same stuff? Below are a list of "changes" to the REV 1, 2 and 3 rom sets.
- Easy install - No soldering, board modifications or special wiring. Plug in and go!
- Save your scores forever - We use a serial eprom, not failure prone NVRAM or batteries
- High Score Save - Saves the Top 8 scores!
- Has separate score tables - Different high score saving for number of lives chosen! (2, 3, 4 or 5 lives are separate HSS tables!) That gives you 8 separate High Score Tables for Original Tempest and Tempest Tubes!
- ROM Revisions - Choose between the ORIGINAL roms or Tempest Tubes!
- Attract Sounds - Hear what you've been missing! Set at 25%, 50% or 100% of the attract screen rotation!
- Freeplay - No more coins or opening up the coin door!
- Coin Up - Still supports coins if wanted
- Attract Mode - Minimize your screen burn. No more "static" screens!
- Change DIP settings - Menu driven. No more pulling out your game to get inside to change dip switches!
- Rom Saver - You can remove original program roms if desired to save power!
- Support - Can be used in an Upright or Cocktail cabinet!
- Backup and Restore - Able to backup high scores and restore them later! Ideal for before and after game room parties!
- Reset Button - Restart a game without turning the entire game off (Requires to be ENABLED in menu)
- Fast boot - No waiting for initialization!
- CHOOSE YOUR LEVEL! - Able to choose what level (up to 81) from the game menu!
- Time to choose level bumped up to 60 seconds instead of 10.
- Tournament mode!
- Different settings need different HSS tables, right? ie. 3 lives vs 5 lives
Just the facts - Tempest ROM REVISION notes -
There are some kits out that use "ROM Revisions" as a game select in the multi. I threw that out since most of us want to play a great game of Tempest or Tubes. Why call it a 6 in 1 or 8 in 1 when it's really the same stuff? Below are a list of "changes" to the REV 1, 2 and 3 rom sets.*
*One quick way to see which revision of the ROMs you have is to put the game in test mode and turn the spinner. If it reads in HEX instead of Degrees of Rotation, you've got REV 1. Also, it's said that REV 1 Attract Mode is harder on the monitor since it has a maximum corner to corner sweep which is missing from the second revision.
- Tempest ROM Version 1 contains the cheat for 40 credits
- Version two fixed the cheat
- Version three fixed the screen collapse between the player 1 / player 2 change (This is the version on kit)
40 Credit Cheat - ROM Set V1 -
- This is a cheat that was aparently left in by somebody at Atari. It was removed in ROM 217 and 222 Software Revision 2.
- Given a score with the format XXYYZZ: XX must be greater than 16, YY between 29 and 60, and ZZ is a code.
Codes for ZZ are as follows:
00 - freeze screen
01 - access bookkeeping totals
05 - play during attract mode
06 - 40 credits
11 - 40 credits
12 - 40 credits
14 - credit sound without actual credit
15 - credit sound without actual credit
16 - 40 credits
17 - 40 credits
18 - 40 credits
41 - switch last 2 digits of score
42 - increase score quickly
46 - demonstration mode
50 - player moves by itself
51 - player moves by itself
60 - objects drift down
66 - objects drift right
67 - objects jump
68 - objects drift up
70 - objects drift up
Two more tricks (the coolest?) can be activated by playing the attract mode (05) and setting the last 2 digits to:
46 - random-coloured level with wrong enemies!
48 - 255 extra lives
Easy to install kit for Tempest
Get this kit, you'll be glad you did!
Easy to install Tempest save kit
Very happy with this Tempest save kit
Extra levels, saves scores, attract sounds. Recommend this for anyone with a Tempest
It's been said before
This and all of Highscoresaves kits are excellent!
This kit is IDEAL for your Tempest arcade! Love the new levels!!!
Great kit and easy to install
Took about 10 minutes to install and that was being careful. Great new levels with Tubes
Easiest and best way to play Tubes and get all our scores saved
Added the kit in a few minutes. Cool new levels. Very fast shipping
Highly recommend the Tempest save kit
This is a great high score save kit! Great way to save our scores and the menu is easy to use. We love the "Tubes" levels!
Fast ship. Easy install with the guide
It is easy to install
Plugs right in 6502 socket
We love it
Cannot recommend this easy to install save kit unless you like to save high scores and be able to change settings quickly and easily! Get one today!
Love Tempest Tubes!
Really easy install, just works. Very fast shipping
Love Tubes and this kit made it easy to switch between!
Impressively good high score save kit
Took a few minutes to install on my pcb. Thank you
Very easy to install. A must have kit for your Tempest!
This is a great kit
Install guide is good, simple and they delivered the kit fast
Took a few minutes to add on my pcb
Very simple installation as the description says.
We love this kit
It was easy to order from the site, even easier to install. Options on menu are easy to follow. Overall, a perfect kit for our home gameroom
Very happy with the kit
Able to easily swap between regular Tempest and Tubes, saves scores and attract sounds.
Easy installation and fast shipping
Easiest Tempest Multi kit to install
Exactly what I wanted!
Simple to install and all the cool features
Very easy kit to install, shipped quickly
Single daughter install is right! Took longer to remove back door to get inside the game then it did to install the kit
Easy plug n play kit for Tempest. Love it Highscoresaves!
Wow! Easy install. Fast shipping
In anticipation of my order, I've read the installation instructions. It shows the 10 program ROMs as being removable and unneeded. My question is: Can the two vector ROMs (I believe that is what they are) location N/P3 and R3 be removed as well? Thanks!
Correct. The 10 program roms that are highlighted in the install guide PDF can be removed. The vector ROMs at location N/P3 and R3 need to stay in.