Karate Champ Installation Guide
Steps for a successful install of your online or offline high score save kit -
· Ensure your gameboard is working 100% before installing kit
· Ensure power to game is off before removing your gameboard from cabinet
· Label any connectors that you will be disconnecting. This will make reinstalling easier once kit is on gameboard
· Note which way your connectors/cables are on. (We suggest taking pictures to help you remember!)
· Work in a well-lit area on your workbench
Please note – you will need a z80 to install on this kit. There is an option to purchase in the drop downs of the product page when you order. Or you can use an existing one.
Start with locating your z80 socket.
This is what your pcb should look like. This is your bottom PCB of your 2 board stack. You will not need to do anything with the top PCB of the stack. This kit will only work on a Karate Champ PCB.
1. Locate your z80. Remove.
2. Install the z80 onto the daughter card then attach on PCB
3. [Ensure PIN 1 of the z80 is installed with the proper orientation]-
Pin1 on z80 –
4. Ensure that nothing is hitting the underside of the new daughter card from your original PCB. Sometimes test points on your PCB need to be bent away.
5. Note: Ensure DIP settings are set for your pcb.
Since there is no possibility to find out which chip version is on our board by the software...we need to find out about the first "write" and it must be the correct activation code....so I thought, "Let the customer select their version themselves by setting the correct setting (use of dip1)!
- When dip1 is set to "on", version 1 is activated...version 2 will simply not start, no error message, garbage on screen.
- When dip1 is set to "off", like in the pic attached, version 2 (maybe the more common) is activated.... (again, if pcb is version 1, game will not start, garbage on screen)
Double check your work
Install back in cabinet using pictures you took and any marked connectors
Power up the game and enjoy!
If the game does not start, turn power off immediately, double check your work.
Helpful link - https://highscoresave.com/highscoresaves-kit-tips-and-tricks
How do I get to the menu settings?
With the power off on your game. Press and hold P1 while you turn the game on. Release P1 button when the screen tells you to. You are now in the main menu settings. This is a feature built into your kits, so the menu settings are not accessible to your guests or family.
Now, having said that, you need to enable this feature in the menu settings, or disable if you want your kit to give you approximately 5 seconds every time you turn on your game.