Gorf Installation Guide
Steps for a successful install of your online or offline high score save kit -
- Ensure your gameboard is working 100% before installing kit
- Ensure power to game is off before removing your gameboard from cabinet
- Label any connectors that you will be disconnecting. This will make reinstalling easier once kit is on gameboard
- Note which way your connectors/cables are on. (We suggest taking pictures to help you remember!)
- Work in a well-lit area on your workbench
The Gorf kit contains -
- 1 – z80 Daughter card
Please note – you will need a z80 to install on this kit. There is an option to purchase in the drop downs of the product page when you order. Or you can use an existing one.
This is what your pcb should look like. This kit will only work on a Gorf, Space Zap or Wizard of Wor PCB. [whichever save kit you purchased for your game]
1. Remove the Gorf / WOW / Space Zap stack out of your game. Mark it exactly where and how the plugs were attached.
It this looks like this -
NOTE – There is an empty slot in a Space Zap cage
2. Remove each pcb one by one from your stack by simultaneously turning of the lever on the left and right.
Ensure you identify the boards because you need to know these later.
NOTE - The game board is different in Wizard of WOR and Space Zap. [Gorf is pictured here]
The memory board can vary, and notice Space Zap has no memory board. Please note the position of the Z80 and the PIN1 of the Z80 on the CPU board
Only for a Space Zap PCB -
· Highlighted are all ROMs and RAMs on the Space Zap game board (Position at ABB), so that you know where these were inserted.
· Remove all ROMs and RAMs from the sockets and keep them safe.
· These are not required when using this save kit and must be removed.
3. You may elect to install a riser socket [ not included anymore as the save kit has been redesigned to fit most cages without ]
4. You will now insert the boards back in the cage as shown –
Please always when inserting in the stack it, make sure that the nose of the slots with the notch on the Board (see arrow markings)
Never insert with a damaging push!
The plates slide in your cage as described below –
· The game board in POS 1 (slot 1)
· POS 2 (slot 2) will be blank! The memory board is no longer required
· The pattern of Board in POS 3 (slot 3)
· The CPU board in item 4 (slot 4) all the way forward
5. Locate the Z80 processor location on the CPU Board [ where optional riser was in Step 3 ]
6. Insert the z80 on your new save kit [orientation of Pin1 is important]
7. Insert Save Kit in z80 socket on your CPU board [All pins must slide into the socket clean. Recommendation: slightly at an angle as in picture shown and then just press firmly]
- Double check your work
- Install back in cabinet using pictures you took and any marked connectors
- Power up the game and enjoy!
If the game does not start, turn power off immediately, double check your work.
Helpful link - https://highscoresave.com/highscoresaves-kit-tips-and-tricks
How do I get to the menu settings?
With the power off on your game. Press and hold P1 while you turn the game on. Release P1 button when the screen tells you to. You are now in the main menu settings. This is a feature built into your kits, so the menu settings are not accessible to your guests or family.
Now, having said that, you need to enable this feature in the menu settings, or disable if you want your kit to give you approximately 5 seconds every time you turn on your game.